Nuclear Fuel Department, Nuclear Division, Baden, Switzerland
In the current project, the student will delve into the fascinating field of Boiling Water Reactor stability and learn how to simulate such type of transient using the best-estimate coupled neutronic/thermal-hydraulics code SIMULATE-5K. Since the code is still in its development stages for stability analysis, the primary objectives of the project is threefold:
- Optimize the numerical parameters, including neutronic and thermal-hydraulics time steps, to ensure accurate evaluation stability parameters.
- Carry out preliminary scooping calculations both with and without peripheral systems to validate the code's ability to replicate expected trends across various parameters, taking as a reference results obtained from the SIMULATE-3K code.
- Compare SIMULATE-5K stability results with those obtained from stability measurements at Leibstadt power plant (KKL).
- Familiarity with BWR technology in general and stability analysis in particular
- Coding skills: Python or Matlab; bash would be a plus
- Proficiency in working autonomously and demonstrating critical thinking skills
- Good technical writing skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
You will have the opportunity to work alongside nuclear experts and apply your academic and research background in real industrial applications. In this project you will have the opportunity to work in a hybrid mode (office work in main headquarters in Baden and home-office). Depending on the outcome of the project, the internship could be extended and/or a master thesis topic could be proposed.
Axpo Power AG offers 18 internship proposals for the Summer 2024.
Please, apply online using the following link by 21.02.2024
In your online application you can specify for which of Axpo’s projects you are interested in.
A selection day will follow at beginning of March at Axpo’s HQ.